Sunday, July 10, 2011

Betty Ford, Will You Be My Cancer Twin?

When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer, I wanted very badly to find someone who had my type of cancer (estrogen receptor positive/progesterone receptor positive), my stage cancer (2A) and my cancer treatment (unilateral mastectomy, eight chemotherapy treatments, and 28 radiation treatments).  I thought that if I found someone who was my cancer twin, and she survived and was doing okay, I would be okay too.   

I didn't find an exact cancer twin.  There are a lot of women with breast cancer, but there are also a lot of variables.  So, I have no twin.  But, if I could choose a twin, I would choose Betty Ford.



Betty Ford, breast cancer's patron saint, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1974.  She had a mastectomy, lymph node removal (She had three affected lymph nodes.  I had three affected lymph nodes.) and two years of chemotherapy.  And, Betty Ford went on to live to 93.  That's the kind of cancer twin I was looking for.

But, more than be her cancer twin, I want to be as honest and optimistic about breast cancer as Betty Ford.  By being so open about her disease, Betty Ford got people talking about breast cancer.  Betty Ford helped women to know that breast exams are important, and cancer is not a life sentence.  

She advised women facing breast cancer treatment "to go as quickly as possible and get it done."  She also said, "once it's done, put it behind you and go on with your life."  (Sounds a little like, "put it in your rear view mirror and move forward.") 

I'm working on it, Betty, I'm working on it. 

Rest in peace, First Lady.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect choice for a "cancer twin". Am on day 2 post chemo 3 for breast cancer as well. Resting on bed and googling Betty Ford whose legacy of rising above adversities (of breast cancer and alcoholism) gives me the drive and inspiration to be like her. Your article has given me something new to think about (didn't know she had positive lymph nodes) and I love the quotes - indeed let's put it all behind us! God bless you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother was diagnosed in stage one. Six months later I was diagnosed with a precancerous tumor that had to be removed. We both had mammograms. Thank God Mrs. Ford went public

    ReplyDelete