Friday, March 25, 2011

Cancer-versary

Today is my chemo-versary.  A year ago today I started my first round of chemotherapy.  Last year I was sitting at home after a day at Sloan Kettering and waiting for the side effects of the first round to hit. 

And, today we celebrated Elizabeth's 11th birthday rock climbing with her friends.

I wonder if I'll always remember to remember each cancer-versary.  I hear from people who have gone through cancer treatment that the cancer-versaries become less important.  Some people just block them out and don't remember them at all.  Really?

Maybe someday I'll only remember the day I was diagnosed; or the day of my mastectomy; or the day I started chemo; or the day I ended chemo; or the day I ended radiation.

Probably not.  Maybe I'm just the kind of person who is never going to forget any of those dates.  They are a part of who I am now.

And, so are birthdays.  The birthdays were big before, but they are at a whole different level of big now.







One year out--moving forward and climbing high.




If you know someone who could benefit from or would like to read this blog, please forward the link to them.
beingmemovingforward.blogspot.com


Breast cancer alone can be terrifying, but the breast cancer community is empowering.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is a gift to the rest of us living with cancer. I completely understand the inclination to keep track of all the anniversaries that come with this experience...I hope that, some day, a date will pass unnoticed, because it will mean "ordinary" life is at the front of your mind. But there's something to be said for the way cancer makes us appreciate all the other big dates in life, too (kids' birthdays, especially, when we're grateful to be around for them). Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete