Monday, January 10, 2011

What's it all about, Alfie?

There are knitting blogs.  I follow a few.  There are parenting blogs.  I used to follow many.  There are cancer blogs.  I followed some.  Although, when I was diagnosed, I knew enough young women who had been treated for or were currently being treated for breast cancer that I had my own instant support group. 

So what is my blog about?  What's my tag line?   

"musings on knitting, parenting, yoga and life after cancer?" 

I promised myself that even though I had breast cancer, I wouldn't let it define me--or my blog.  So I wanted to keep cancer out of the subtitle.

Although, I've found that keeping the cancer out is not that easy.  Since I officially ended treatment in October, I know two women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Since I ended treatment, I have read or started to read at least three novels that mention breast cancer.  I think that the Susan G. Komen Foundation should get that pink ribbon put on all books that mention breast cancer, women dying of breast cancer, and children whose mothers have died of breast cancer.  That would be a good place for the pink ribbon.  Buyer beware.   

The Cookbook Collector--Allegra Goodman; The Widower's Tale--Julia Glass (breast cancer survivor); By Nightfall--Michael Cunningham.  It's not that they weren't good books (I couldn't get through the first one, but I liked the second two just fine).  I just might have chosen something different if I had known they had breast cancer in the plot lines.

Or, maybe that's just what life is like after breast cancer.  You don't find the books about breast cancer.  They find you.  And, maybe you hear about women with breast cancer, because they need to find you.  Because, they need to know one person who's done it before--one person who made it through the whole year and came through on the other side.

So, what's it all about?  I don't know yet.  I don't have a subtitle.

I do know that this blog won't be all about cancer.

But, I also know that part of me will always be about cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment