Sunday, January 2, 2011

What's Old is New

A continuation of uploading the old CaringBridge posts:

Last year--Mohonk Mountain House



Friday, February 26, 2010 9:35 PM, EST
Finally, a posting from me and not Jay.  Although, he was doing such a great job--I'm tempted to let him continue. 

I have an update--although my lumpectomy and lymph node removal went very well--when my lab report came back, my surgeon (Alexandra Heerdt) did not have clear margins (no cancer cells) on my tumor site.  Since that report, she has done two more re-excision in an effort to ultimately get clear margins.  It made sense to continue with the re excisions, because prognostically it makes no difference if the surgeon achieves clear margins on the first or fifth excision.  However, my tissue samples still have not yielded clear margins--so my surgeon is very clear that I should have a mastectomy.  This doesn't change my prognosis at all--it just changes the mechanics of how they get the cancer out of my body.

I'm all scheduled for the first surgery of the day on March 8th--I love being the first surgery on a Monday--I'm not being sarcastic--I really do.  And, then, for sure, we will have clear margins. 

On one level, it is incredibly disappointing.  I really thought that after three surgeries I would be clear.  And, I had really planned on starting chemo the first week in March--and this sets me back a little.  It's so funny, you know that your life has been turned upside down when you can't wait for chemo to start.  But, on another very practical level, I'm very at peace with this procedure, because I will not have to worry about rogue cancer cells left in my breast. 

J and I met with my oncologist (Gabriella D'Andrea) on Tuesday, and we both thought that she was fabulous.  I'm very lucky to have two incredibly smart and kind women (and mothers) taking care of me.  We didn't have the re excision report at the time, but she indicated that she is ready to start chemo one to two weeks after the mastectomy.  So, "my plan" still isn't set too far back.  I mention both of my doctors by name, because I just want their names to be out there.  When I was first diagnosed, I had a friend who was just completing treatment at Sloan, and it was so incredibly helpful and reassuring to have names of good people.  So, I mention them--but really hope that you'll never need them.

So that's all of the cancer news.  The bigger family news is that E is turning 10 tomorrow!  Yes, double digits.  We are going to Mohonk Mountain House for the weekend to celebrate.  She is so excited--and so are we.  It will be a fun and snowy escape for all of us.  So Happy 10th Birthday to E!

And, as always, thank you for all of the e-mails, calls, help, meals, gifts, love and support.  I can't imagine going through all of this without all of you.

Moving forward,
with love,
Barbara

Monday, March 8, 2010 1:57 PM, EST
Just wanted to post and let everyone know that Barbara is out of surgery and doing well. She is sleeping but I was able to speak with her for a few minutes. She had a mastectomy and expander put in (to make way for an eventual implant). They were pleased to be able to expand the tissue double the normal level due to her flexibility in her chest muscles. She is on a morphine drip for pain now but intends to go home. They will probably let her by this evening since we have a nurse coming to our house for tonight and tomorrow. Thx to all helping out today with the kids and for everyone’s kind wishes and food.
J

Friday, March 12, 2010 6:31 PM, EST
Hi everyone--just a quick update.  Since I came home on Monday night I have been feeling stronger and better everyday.  After so much anticipation and anxiety about the mastectomy--I have to say that I just feel so relieved to have it behind me.  It was so great to know that I was leaving the hospital this time with clear-cancer free margins.

I've been taking it super easy for this recovery.  I've been spending a lot of time in bed watching movies and reading books and knitting.  But, today I felt good and strong enough to drive and pick the kids up from school.  Although, E and A have loved the walks and drives to school with friends and all of their play dates--it was nice for us to have a drive home and a lazy afternoon together.

I have a post op appointment with my breast surgeon and with the reconstructive surgeon on Tuesday--and if all continues to look and heal well, I am scheduled to start chemo on March 25. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for taking such good care of me and J and E and A.  I feel like it's still the beginning--but all of your help and meals and soups and play dates and carpools and DVD's and phone calls and magazines and e-mails and notes mean so much to me--and have really helped us all get through what I call the "first trimester" of my cancer. 

Moving forward,
With many thanks and much love,
Barbara


Last year because of my surgery schedule, we had to cancel our Caribbean vacation plans, and we made the weekend trip to Mohonk.  This year, no skiing, no snow--we're going to Punta Cana in February.

Punta Cana 2009


And, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment