Saturday, January 15, 2011

When Negative is Positive

In December I was tested for the breast cancer genes:  BRCA 1 and 2.  I don't have a family history of breast cancer.  But, because I was diagnosed with breast cancer pre menopause and because I have a daughter, the genetics counselor at Sloan Kettering thought it was a good idea for me to be tested. Testing positive would have meant that I was at a higher risk for a second breast cancer or ovarian cancer.  And, testing positive would have meant that E. and A. were at greater risk for breast cancer or ovarian (for E.) cancer. 
The results are in (all the way from the lab in Utah, drumroll please). I am negative for both the BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genes. My breast cancer is most likely sporadic (occurring without known genetic link).  Statistically, the genetics counselor wasn't thinking that I would test positive.  My husband, the actuary and the optimist, was certain that I would not be BRCA positive.  But, waiting for any/all test results from Sloan Kettering makes me anxious.
So, it is so nice, oh ever so nice, to have negative lab results and positive news at the beginning of a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment